Customer Service FAQs
Find the answers you're looking for.
Chances are someone has asked that question you’re wondering about. Search below to find the answers to people’s most frequently asked questions.
Select the drop down arrow to view additional FAQs
- My debit card expired and I received a replacement; how do I activate it?
- You may remove and disregard the sticker on your replacement debit card. A renewal debit card comes already activated and does not require any form of activation.
- My debit card is about to expire, when can I expect a new card?
- Your card is valid until the end of the month and year embossed on the card. Your debit card will automatically renew and be mailed to your address. You can expect to receive your card before the end of the month it expires.
- How do I activate my debit card?
- You may activate your debit card through FirstMerit's automated FirstLine phone service or by completing any transaction at any ATM. However, fees may apply for transactions through non-FirstMerit ATMs. In both cases, you will need the 4-digit PIN that we mailed to you separately. If you do not have the PIN we mailed, please visit your local FirstMerit branch or call us at 888-554-4362.
- I didn’t get any money out of the ATM but it still took the money out of my account. What do I do?
- ATMs are generally programmed to authorize funds before dispensing cash. When funds are authorized, a hold is placed on your account in the amount of the expected withdrawal. If funds were not dispensed, ATMs are designed to automatically remove holds at the end of the business day. If the transaction was attempted on a Saturday or Sunday, the hold will fall off at the end of business on Monday. If the transaction posts to your account, please stop in to any FirstMerit branch to file a dispute for the transaction.
- I made a purchase and it was taken out of my account twice. What do I do?
- If the duplicate charge that appears on your account is currently a hold we can request the hold be removed. You can identify holds in your Online Banking account activity as they will display the current date or Saturday’s date on a Sunday. We will request this hold be removed and the funds should be available before the end of the current or next business day.
However, we cannot prevent the charge from posting if the merchant processes the transaction. If the transaction posts (i.e. the date column displays a previous date that is not a Saturday) please contact the merchant for a refund or stop in to your local FirstMerit branch to file a disput.
- Why is the amount of the purchase in my account activity different than the amount on the receipt?
- Authorization amount may differ from the posted amount. For example, gas stations often authorize $1.00 and restaurant authorizations may vary based on tip.These transactions should post to your account for the correct amount during our nightly processing. If the wrong amount appears in your account detail once the transaction has posted you may contact the merchant for correction or dispute the transaction by filing a legal affidavit at any FirstMerit branch or call our Customer Contact Center at 888-554-4362.
- I did not get a debit MasterCard at the time I opened my account but would like one now. How do I request a card?
- The application process for a debit MasterCard requires a signature. You may request this application in person at your local FirstMerit branch. They will process your application and request your card the same day.
If you would prefer a mailed application, please speak with one of our Relationship Bankers at 888-554-4362. Once received and completed, please send the completed and signed application back to us via U.S. Mail or drop it off at any FirstMerit branch. We will order your card once the application is received.
- What should I do if my card becomes damaged or does not function properly?
- Please visit your local FirstMerit branch or call us at 888-554-4362. Any of our representatives would be happy to order a replacement card. As this card will have the same information, there will be no interruption to the function of your current card.
- How do I request a new debit card design?
- You can change your debit card design online and request the new debit card by logging into your online banking account. The debit card link is located within the Accounts tab at the top of the screen. Hover over the Accounts tab and select Debit Card. From that page select the card you want changed (if you have more than one), select the new design, click on the box "Please make this my new debit card design" and submit your request. You should receive your new card within 7-10 business days.
You may also request a new card design through your local FirstMerit branch or by calling 888-554-4362.
- I opted out of Overdraft Support, why did I have a debit card transaction post negatively?
- Debit card transactions are approved or declined based on the funds available at the time of the transaction. These authorizations are not changed if the funds later become unavailable. For example, an outstanding paper check may post at the end of the business day, causing the transaction to post negatively. However, if you have opted out of Overdraft Support no fee will be charged for one-time debit card and ATM transactions that post without the funds available.
- What should I do if I did not receive the PIN mailer to activate my new debit card?
- If you did not receive your PIN mailer you can request a new mailer be sent by calling customer service at 888-554-4362. You can also take your card to a branch to be re-pinned (not all branches have this capability, you may want to contact your local branch before visiting).
- How do I change the PIN on my debit MasterCard?
- If you know the current PIN on the card, you may change the PIN by calling 888-554-4362. After calling, wait for the FirstLine automated system. After the welcome message plays select option 2 to activate a card or change the PIN. Next, input the entire card number followed by the # sign then the current 4-digit PIN followed by the # sign. After the system verifies the information, select option 2 to change the PIN.
If you do not know the current PIN, please call 888-554-4362. Any of our relationship bankers would be happy to adequately verify your identity and order a replacement PIN. This PIN would arrive by mail in 3 to 5 business days.
- There is an unauthorized transaction on my account. What do I do?
- If you notice unauthorized or fraudulent activity on your FirstMerit debit card, you should call the FirstMerit Customer Contact Center immediately at 888-554-4362 to initiate a dispute. Please be prepared with transaction information, such as resolution attempts with the merchant and other pertinent information. Other options to dispute unauthorized activity on your card include visiting a local FirstMerit branch.
- I will be traveling and using my debit card. Is there any way to note my account so you don't suspect fraud?
- Please call us at 888-554-4362 to report where and when you will be traveling. We will make note of the information and make all attempts to prevent an interruption of service. However, if you have trouble completing transactions you may reach our Fraud Monitoring Department at 800.622.1361. They are available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. You may also call our Customer Contact Center at 888-554-4362.
- What should I do if I see fraudulent transactions on my statement?
- If you notice fraudulent activity on your FirstMerit credit card, you should call the FirstMerit Customer Contact Center immediately at 888-554-4362 to initiate a dispute. Please be prepared with transaction information, such as resolution attempts with the merchant and other pertinent information. Other options to dispute anauthorized activity on your card include visiting a local FirstMerit branch or by logging into online banking and selecting your credit card.
- Can I pay my FirstMerit credit card online?
- FirstMerit allows online payments to FirstMerit bankcards from FirstMerit and non-FirstMerit accounts. To make an online payment from a FirstMerit account, first log in to your Online Banking and go to your account listing. Select the letter “P” icon to the right of your bankcard then select the account to pay from and the payment amount. Payments submitted before 11:45 PM Eastern Time will count as being made that business day.
To pay from a non-FirstMerit account, click on the card number in your Online banking account detail. Next, mouse over the “Payments” option on the left side of the page. For one-time payments, select the “Online Payment” option and enter the payment amount, your checking or savings account routing number, and your checking or savings account number.
For automatic payments, mouse over the “Payments” option then select “Schedule Auto-pay.” Select the radio button next to either “minimum” or “full statement balance”, enter your account and routing number, and click submit. You may also use either of these options to make payments using a FirstMerit checking or savings account.
- Can I change the date my FirstMerit credit card payment is due?
- In order to change your payment due date, you will need to provide the request in writing by mail or fax to our Card Services Department. The communication must include your name, card number, and a preferred daytime contact number in addition to a short request stating the new due date you would prefer. The letter can be faxed to 330-479-7994. The mailing address is:
4455 Hills and Dale Rd. NW
Canton, OH 44708
You may also submit a letter at any FirstMerit branch location.
- Can I set up automatic payments for my FirstMerit credit card?
- If you have access to Online Banking, click on the card number in your Online banking account detail. Next, mouse over the “Payments” option on the left side of the page and select “Schedule Auto-pay.” Select the radio button next to either “minimum” or “full statement balance”, enter your account and routing number, and click submit.
To set up automatic payments without Internet Banking, you will need to complete a “Credit Card Auto-Pay Plan” form. This form can be obtained by contacting any FirstMerit branch or requesting the form from our Customer Contact Center by calling 888-554-4362.
- How can I check the balance on my FirstMerit gift MasterCard?
- You can check your balance and transaction history online at https://www.firstmerit.com/personal/banking/credit-card-accounts/gift-card/index.html. On the first page, enter only the first 8 digits of your Gift Card number. Click “Continue” to move to the next page.
If this is your first visit, select the “Register your card” option at the top of the page and enter the information as requested. If you have already registered, enter your card number and password into the provided fields. You may also obtain information about your card by calling 800-786-8317.